Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Talking Tuesday: Records

Photo taken in the Egyptian wing of the Louvre


Through the ages of history, people have used different methods of record keeping.  This past week my grandmother passed and it left me to ponder the importance of keeping a faithful record of our lives.   People always talk about the things we cannot take with us into the next life. We often forget that the knowledge and memories which we do take with us will be lost to those we leave behind unless we have passed it along.  There is so much more I would love to learn from my grandmother, a lot of it just simple things, but I can no longer do that in this life.  As far as I know, other than pictures and a few recorded interviews, there is no record for me to go to receive her knowledge.

I gained a new appreciation for all Nephi did to gain the records of his father.  I appreciate the dedication of the prophets who kept faithful records, and Moroni's efforts in condensing those records.  I admit I have not be successful in my own endeavors at journal keeping.  The diaries I have are more of an embarrassment than a source of knowledge for my posterity.  However, I have gained a new appreciation for journaling and a desire to do better.

Did your ancestors keep records?  How has that helped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails